Thursday, November 1, 2007

Tale of the Red Balloon

Creepy incident with a red balloon in our brand new house.

This is a creepy tale, as part of Halloween week...

When I was 15 my parents finally decided to buy a home. My parents threw a housewarming party in tandem with our birthday party, since they coincided. It was the largest party my parents had ever thrown. The house was so full it was hard to move around. While I mingled and said 'hello' to the titas and titos I noticed an older man, whom I had never seen before. He was Caucasian and wearing an old, brown suit. He did not seem to be speaking to anyone, just standing alone amongst the people. He saw me and winked. I smiled back politely and resumed my greetings, assuming that he was one of the many doctor friends that my parents had invited.

After the party I asked my mom who he was. I described him but she didn't recognize the description, so she asked my dad but he didn't know either. We shrugged it off and decided to finish cleaning after the party. While my parents were in the living room, I tackled the family room, and began to collect the napkins and plates, when in the corner of my eye I saw a red shape floating up from the basement. It was a balloon. I paused what I was doing and watched it. When it got to my landing it turned the corner and went up the stairs to the kitchen, then turned it again and went up the hallway to my parents room! I followed and saw it slowly, lightly duck into my parents room, and make its way into their bathroom. Following, I watched as it paused in the semi-darkness of the bathroom and bob up and down, in front of the mirror. From the light a shadow was cast on its surface and in the mirror it looked as if a face was reflected back.

I fled the room and told mom, who laughed.

A few days later, while tidying the books in the family room that the previous owner had left, a photo stumbled out. I looked at it and saw the old man in the brown suit, smiling back up at me.

3 comments:

Mari said...

Oh, that's so creepy. It would scare the heck out of me.

mari

Chocolate Eclair said...

wow...thats freaky

Chocolate Eclair said...

wow...thats freaky