Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Jeepney



The last time I rode a jeepney I was 8 and I remember being whipped in the face by the hair of the woman sitting next to me. A little down further down an old man sat, clutching a basket with a chicken clucking inside and the mountains were passing by at exhilarating speeds outside. I absolutely loved it. We were all wedged in, shoulder to shoulder and knee to knee, making conversation with the person across the way or just trying to avoid staring at someone. That was the first time I saw a woman flash a boob and feed her baby, without any thought to her fellow passengers. What also amazed me was how the driver managed to remember all the stops, collect the correct payment and hand back the right change, mostly while driving.

4 comments:

Mari said...

Ah, jeepney! You described it so well. And breast feeding a baby was not a big deal over there. It's so common.

Good drawing Michelle.

AJ said...

hi. im missing d jeepneys..missd it for like 5 years..alas! cant open ur drawings..surely its great!..share mo naman samin ung iba mong boto, he he..keep up the wonderful posts, anyway!

wwwlonelyplanet here

AJ said...

ps: makixlink po sana sa d champ..ty

Emma Tanner said...

Nice drawing of a Jeepney.