Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Driving Trips



When we were kids, my parents planned summer vacations for us that always involved long drives. It was hours of seemingly endless forests, strip malls and fields full of cows and tobacco. My brother and I passed the time reading, playing travel games, cards or 'spot the license plates'.

My parents either chatted in the front or my mom would doze off while dad drove. We would stop to eat, my favorite stop being Roy Roger's Chicken, but we had McDonald's or Burger King (no mayo mom!) or the occasional Wendy's. We would use the drive-thru and eat in the car, or eat at picnic areas. I learned how to gas up on these trips and my brother would help squeegee the car.

When we finally got to our destination (Niagara Falls, Virginia Beach, Hershey Penn., Disney World, seaside resorts somewhere on the coast of N.J., Washington D.C...) my parents would lug out our rice cooker (can't leave home without it) a small bag of rice and a few days worth of chicken adobo (because it kept well). Then my brother and I would grab our swimsuits and go swimming. One time my brother brought along a fishing pole and we fished on the Chesapeake Bay and caught a few crabs and a flounder... they really like chicken... my parents ate them, but we refused.

No comments: