Thursday, October 11, 2007

In Memory of Milos Stratowski



My first car was named Puddle Jumper, she was a white with gold trimmings, Toyota Corolla, small and sleek with dark interior. Lovely, never a bother, wasn't a gas guzzler. Her only weakness were hills and thunderstorms. We gave her away, or rather, gave her back, to my parents. I missed her and her smooth, light handling and one-armed driving. I found out much later that her name was Hana Kame...

We took up a dark green car, who called himself Miles Stratus. I would go for rides with Miles, often singing songs, humming tunes and chit-chatting. I found out that his name was really Milos (pronounced Milosh) Stratowski and that in coming to America he had changed his name. We all do that, no? Ask our non-whatever-it-is-you-are friends to call us by our real names, not our nicknames...? He was sturdier, bigger, ate and drank more. Still it was fun while it lasted.

Here's to you Milos, may the road rise up to meet you.

No comments: